Double time: 2nd Marine Logistics Group claims the streets
By Lance Cpl. Devin Nichols
| 2nd Marine Logistics Group | April 25, 2013
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. --
The sun is dim, the day is early, sweat covers the Marines and sailors; this is only normal for a 2nd Marine Logistic Group servicemember.
Troops run with the colors through the streets raising the flags high in the sky. Cadences roar throughout the base as “Marine Corps” explodes out of their mouths.
Physical training is normal to the Marines but motivation is always higher when the commanding general is leading from the front.
Marines and sailors with 2nd Marine Logistics Group went on approximately a three-mile unit run here, April 25.
“It was good physical training, a good day to be alive, and a good day to be in the MLG,” said Sgt. Maj. George W. Young Jr., the sergeant major of 2nd MLG.
As companies yelled louder and louder, competing with each other to prove who was the loudest, the noise evolved and drove the Marines and sailors to a spiritual high.
“This is terrific to see everybody out here this morning,” said Brig. Gen. Edward D. Banta, the commanding general of 2nd MLG. “There is absolutely nothing like being ahead of a formation and seeing about 3,500 Marines and sailors going down the road. If the base didn’t know that the MLG was around before, today they definitely knew and made your presence known.”
After completion of the run, servicemembers formed formations around the command staff as they spoke to the MLG. The commanding general briefed the troops the status and current events of what the deployed Marines and sailors with the group are doing currently in foreign countries.
“We need to be better about taking care of what we have and getting back to the basics of fixing and maintaining instead of throwing away and buying new,” said Banta.
These points were brought up by the command staff because of the recent budget cuts the Marine Corps is undergoing. Therefore, Banta gives his expectations to the Marines and sailors with the MLG.
“There are Marines everywhere doing stuff,” said Banta. “With 40 percent of us deployed, the remaining 60 percent has to pick up the load to support II Marine Expeditionary Force.”
“That means more loads are getting put into your rucks,” said Banta. “Regardless what you do, you play a role ensuring that II Marine Expeditionary Force and the Marine Corps is successful in its mission.”
As the morning event came to an end, the commanding general’s words gave more than just motivation to some troops.
“It was nice to get out and run as a group,” said Lance Cpl. James T. Barnes, a Satellite Beach, Fla., native and financial clerk with Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd MLG. “It felt great to be a part of something that is bigger than one self.”