Photo Information

Marines with Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, participate in Operational Stress Control and Readiness training at the regiment’s headquarters building aboard Camp Lejeune, N.C., Jan. 19, 2012. The purpose of the training is to teach Marines and sailors about stressors they may face, coping methods and to whom they may approach for help when needed. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Pfc. Franklin E. Mercado)

Photo by Pfc. Franklin E. Mercado

My brother’s keeper: support through training

24 Jan 2012 | Pfc. Franklin E. Mercado

The Marine Corps is known for its rough and tough service members. Being too tough to seek help for problems such as post traumatic stress disorder and personal stress was a large part of the fierce image the world has come to know.

But these issues have become too severe for the Corps’ image to cope with and a new one’s emerged – strength is getting help.

Thus the creation of Operational Stress Control and Readiness training. The most recent class was held by Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd Marine Logistics Group in its regimental classroom aboard Camp Lejeune, N.C., Jan. 19.

The purpose of the training is to teach Marines and sailors in the unit about the stressors they may face, coping methods and to whom they may approach for help when needed.

The course encourages Marines and sailors with the regiment to confide in leadership for support in tough times. Other resources the course supports are religious services, medical care, the Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society and family services.

Senior Chief Christopher Olinger, the regiment’s Navy senior enlisted leader, is a qualified OSCAR instructor and taught the class to the unit’s Marines and sailors on several occasions.

“OSCAR training helps us better educate ourselves,” he said. “Before this training service members wouldn’t receive help until days, weeks or months later. We are better educated now, and aware of the problems and stages we go through.”

Another instructor with the regiment is Lt. Cmdr. Tim Johns, the chaplain for CLR-27. Though he’s only been an instructor for a year, he feels the course is essential and is striving to train the entire regiment.

“The training should be pushed throughout the unit,” he said. “We’ve done a good job pushing this far, it’s time to push it even further and make sure all of our Marines and sailors are aware of these resources.”

“I would say approximately 80 percent of the regiment has received the information,” Johns said. “We need to get the other 20 percent involved in the training.”

Expanding the reach to the rest of the regiment down to the lowest level is a task that can be handled by the subordinate units, explained Johns.

Leadership, the chaplain, medical, the Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society and family services are all available on a moment’s notice.

Though all are just a phone call, and leadership maybe in the same office, it is up to the Marine to seek help, and it’s up to their fellow service members to be supportive. We are all our brother’s keeper, and what better brotherhood then one forged in the world’s greatest fighting force.


Resources

Click for COVID-19 InformationReport Suspicious ActivityDStress Hotline