Photo Information

Cpl. Michael J. Donato, a refrigeration mechanic with 2nd Maintenance Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, sees his son for the first time after returning home from his deployment Oct. 14, 2011. Family members, friends, Marines and sailors recently gathered for the homecoming aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., to welcome the unit back from their six-month tour in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. (Photo by Cpl. Andrew D. Johnston)

Photo by courtesy photo

2nd Maintenance Battalion sets the bar for logisticians during recent deployment

14 Oct 2011 | Cpl. Andrew D. Johnston

Family members, friends, Marines and sailors recently gathered for a homecoming to welcome back 2nd Maintenance Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group Oct. 14.

The battalion spent six months providing logistical support throughout Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Supply, maintenance, transportation and health service was the unit’s priorities said, Lt. Col. Kevin R. Scott, commanding officer, 2nd Maintenance Bn.

“They provided superb support throughout the area of operation,” said Scott. “The Marines and sailors made tremendous improvements. The biggest accomplishment throughout the deployment was an increase in distribution and superior equipment readiness with uninterrupted medical support.”

Scott attributes the deployments success to the dedication of the Marines and sailors who worked day and night for six months. He said he couldn’t be more proud of them, and their accomplishments set the bar for logisticians in the Corps.

“What made this deployment even greater was the fact that there were a lot of individuals who were actually out on their first combat deployment,” said Scott.

Kim Prica, mother of Lance Cpl. Sara Prica, said she was ecstatic to have her daughter coming home and thanked the battalion for their support during the deployment.

“I wasn’t stressed about the deployment at all and the battalion was great on keeping everyone informed on everything,” said Kim. “I always got their monthly newsletter so we were constantly up up-to-date on how everything was going.”